As we approach the 25th anniversary of the passing of The Americans with Disabilities Act, we take a look at the positive impact the bill has had on our society. Our infographic today highlights many of the positive changes seen as a result of this bill.
Americans With Disabilities Act
- More equal opportunities for people with all types of disabilities to receive a public education.
- Greater social involvement among the disability community in all areas of society.
- Expanded employment opportunities.
- Reasonable accommodations.
- Social recognition of people with disabilities as full contributing citizens.
- Increased accessible public transportation.
- Gives a stronger voice to the world’s largest minority.
- Provides a platform of civil rights.
- Misconceptions and prejudices can be more easily debunked.
- Service animals are more accepted in public.
- More civic engagement and voting.
- Adaptive products are more widely available.
Source: Words I Wheel By | Emily Ladau | 2015
Scioto is a nationally recognized disability housing industry leader. We find and purchase properties that are safe, convenient and affordable for people with developmental disabilities. Our mission is to help people with developmental disabilities live a fully functioning life in their community. Learn more about what we do. >>